Saturday, December 3, 2011

Aunt Eleanor's Potato Salad

My Aunt Eleanor was an excellent cook!  She taught me how to make potato salad when I was about 15.  This is a basic recipe, which can be tweaked however you like.  It's an oldie but a goodie.  My husband begs me to make this whenever we have fresh potatoes, but I make it whenever I want to remember my feisty Aunt Eleanor.  Everything she cooked was delicious and she was the hostess with the mostess.

Ingredients
  • 10 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed
  • 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
  • Mayonnaise  - about 2-2 1/2 cups - you'll add to your taste
  • 2-3 TBL yellow mustard
  • 1/2 green pepper, chopped fine
  • 1-2 stalks celery, chopped fine
  • 1 yellow or white onion, chopped fine
  • 1 jar pimentos
  • Dill pickle relish to taste 
  • Salt/pepper to taste
  • Season salt to taste, if you like season salt
  • Pinch or 2 of herb, such as basil or oregano, to taste

1. Boil the potatoes in a large soup pot, until tender - about 15-20 minutes.  Drain and move to very large mixing bowl.
2. One by one, add the chopped vegetable ingredients and the jar of pimentos.  Add the yellow mustard at this point, too.
3. Gently toss the mixture - you want to keep the potatoes chunky.  (You do NOT want mashed potatoes.)
4. Gradually add mayonnaise to your taste.  Fold it in.  Do not stir.
4. Add herbs to your taste, followed by salt and pepper.

You can also sprinkle a little paprika on top at the end, for decoration.  (I am a big paprika fan.)  I have also added tiny bits of homegrown fresh chopped basil and oregano to sprinkle on top.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment